Saturday, February 22, 2014

Getting close to surgery

Hello, my name is Rhonda and two weeks ago we found out my daughter Mackenzie would have a colectomy due to severe ulcerative colitis. She was first diagnosed with UC in the fall of 2008 at age 21. Now at age of 26 she will take the journey to have her colon completely removed. The surgery will take place on March 4th at Rochester General Hospital. The colectomy takes place in 2 to 3 surgeries and anywhere from 6 to 12 months to complete. Once it is all over, she will no longer have ulcerative colitis. I wanted to take this opportunity to share this journey from a mom's perspective. After searching and reading all kinds of blogs, I haven't found one through the eyes of a mom. I'm sure there is one out there, I just haven't found it yet.

10 comments:

  1. This is a great way to keep us all posted and I'm sure will be very therapeutic to you as well to express your thoughts/feelings as you are going through this. Proud of you and Kenz too!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea and I am sure you will do a great job. I am sure there will be a mom out there that is going through the same thing and will find this so useful. It will also be a great way to express your thoughts and feelings while letting us know how Kenz is doing. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...I am that mom going through it. My son will have his 1st of 2 surgeries this coming Tuesday. It is beyond an overwhelming feeling know our child has to endure this disease. Blessings to you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi marce so glad you found me!! We can be support to each other through this journey. I agree this feeling is overwhelming.

      Delete
  4. You are AMAZING!! Thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The medical journey that Mackenzie is about to begin will be equilivant to a marathon and she will need her biggest cheerleaders spurring her onward, but the prize at the finish line will be restored health. Thinking and praying for both of you my friend! You are the picture of a strong beautiful mother!!

    ReplyDelete