Monday, March 10, 2014

Day 6 after surgery! Words from Mackenzie

Hi everyone! This is Mackenzie posting today! 

First of all I want to send out a huge thank you to everyone for all of the love/support/prayers/calls/texts/visits/cards/flowers/care packages/etc. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it and how much it has helped me get through the start of this journey. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful people in my life <3

Today marks the 6th day since I had my colon removed and got to meet Colleen! I have to be honest and say that I feel GREAT! I still have a lot of soreness from the incisions but I can already feel my health improving by having this ulcerative colitis removed from my body! Like my Doctor said, "your colon is like a boyfriend who isn't treating you right and you need to dump him." This made me laugh, but dumping my colon was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Every day since surgery I am getting better and feeling stronger. Also, Colleen and I are getting a lot more comfortable with each other (I might even miss her a little when she is gone, because she is taking very good care of me). Starting yesterday, my goal is to get out of the house at least once a day, even if it's just something quick.  Today mom took me to target to pick up a few things. Other than having to walk really slow, it was great!  It actually did tire me out a bit, but I'm glad I did it! 

I am on a mission to be myself again as soon as possible! To my fellow UCers who are going through this surgery or considering it.......if I can do it, I know you can too!

Again, thank you all so much for for helping me through this!

All the best, 
Mackenzie 

P.S. I want to thank my mom for creating this blog. It's been a great experience to share this story through her eyes for family/friends/fellow UCers. She truly is the best and I am so lucky to have her.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for making this blog, as a fellow UCer I know the journey and the days aren't always easy. While I am not considering surgery at this point and I seem to be under control (knock on wood) it's wonderful to see the real side of surgery and how it impacts your life. You seem to be doing wonderful, I wish you continued success and healing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very dear Mackenzie and Rhonda, I am so very proud of both of you for your courage, stamina, faith and positivity. I just found out about your blog and your last few weeks, together with each other and with Mason. Please be assured at my thoughts and prayers continue to accompany each of you as you make this journey. We will see you 'out and about' as well, I am sure, before you return to Michigan. Love you!!! Big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete