Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Surgery Day

12:15pm

We got here at 5:45am, they took her back into the OR at 7:30am. We were told surgery will take 7and a half hours and then 2hours in recovery. At 8:49 a nurse came to tell me surgery actually started. Do I start counting the 7and a half hours from 7:30 or 8:49????? This waiting stinks:(

6:19pm

Long day. We finally got to be with her in the recovery room a little after 3:00pm. She then made it to her hospital room around 4:30. The wing of the hospital we are in just opened last Monday. It is beautiful!  

Mackenzie had her colon removed and her stoma made today. She did not have the j-pouch created because the tissue was too thick and bloated. The thickness and bloat was due to being on prednisone. Also being on a high dose of prednisone for a long time slows the healing process. The surgeon felt she would have better results with the j-pouch if it was done separately from the colon removal. They feel she is in great shape for a successful j-pouch construction. So that means she has 2 more surgeries to go. Mackenzie said " I want this done right, so if it takes longer, that's okay."

They tell me they will get her up to walk tonight!! Right now she is sleeping peacefully. 

 

7 comments:

  1. Great to hear Rhonda! I knew she would have a successful surgery. One step closer to being UC free!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rhonda! So happy things have gone well and Mackenzie has such a great attitude. She is right - better to take the time to do things right! You have been on my mind all day. So happy! Big Hugs to you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that it went well. The Fox family has been thinking about all of you but especially Mackenzie today,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was thinking of you and Kenz all day...so glad all went well...let the healing begin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update Rhonda. So happy things are going well for Kenz. You have been on my mind! Keep us posted how she is doing. I hope she will be released by the weekend! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda, I saw Shari Switzer today and she updated me on 'Mackenzie's condition. I am so glad that her surgery went well. I will keep her and your family in my prayers!! Hope the healing goes well! (Hugs))

    ReplyDelete